Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Trailblazer

I have three daughters. Yesterday they were little babies and today they are young women, just a few short years from spreading their wings and leaving my nest. I have big dreams for my girls- God Sized Dreams! I believe with all of my heart that they can, with God’s ever present help, do amazing things with their lives.

But, it’s not enough for me to have dreams for my daughters, unless I also have dreams for myself.

You see… I’m a trailblazer.

I grew up in a home shattered by divorce and void of talk of God and dreams. I was loved and I was nurtured, but I never saw the women around me fly… so I never believed I could either.

Until I was a teenager and fell head over heels in love with Jesus. He not only saved me, He also planted a dream in my heart and whispered to me in the quiet hours of the night… “I believe in you! Spread your wings and fly!”

And so I did. Tentatively at first, with fear gripping my heart. Then I became stronger, steadier… occasional storms still send me back to the nest, but never for long. I just can’t ignore His call… “Come fly with me.”

I fly for Him and Him alone.

But I know He’s not the only one who watches me.

My nearly grown daughters have watched me fly... and fall... and fly again. They have seen me jump off of ledges and cry out for Jesus to save me.

And in watching they too have begun to dream. They too long to fly. They too can’t wait to soar.

I know one day soon they will fly higher than I dare. But I will not stop flying and dream through them. I will keep flying. I will dream with them. I will spur them on to higher heights and greater dreams.

I will blaze a trail for the daughters to follow.

Marianne Williamson wrote in her beautiful poem Our Deepest Fear:

We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

Girls, it’s time to shine! It’s time to fly! For our daughters, for the ladies in our small groups, for the women we work with, for the new mom, for the lost teenager! They are watching, waiting and hoping… hoping that YOU will blaze a trail!

Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. 1 Cor. 11:1

1 comment:

  1. This is so good! I too have four children, but three of them are boys. :) I love this image of blazing a trail for my children. I popped over here from Holley's. I really enjoyed what you said there, as well.

    ReplyDelete