Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Walk Worthy

Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-4 NAS


As a kid growing up I always wanted to be part of a team. The only problem with being part of a team is that each individual needs to have something to offer to help the team become better at whatever it is that it's trying to accomplish. For example, if you were to join the girls softball team it would be really helpful if, say, you weren't terrified of being hit by the ball, had the ability to run, and didn't mind a little thing called sweat. Since none of those things describe me I spent my one very long season of softball riding the bench, or when coach was feeling particularly generous, in left field picking dandelions.

Throughout the years I watched friends try out for this or that sport or activity always wondering what it would be like to join the group. It wasn't until High School that I finally found my niche. Quite be accident. My two best friends signed up for the freshman drama class. I was the shyest most awkward kid you've ever met. The last thing I wanted to do was get up on a stage. But, my inability to stand up to peer pressure landed me in Mr. Hall's 6th hour beginning drama class.

If I were to say that the first time I climbed the stairs to the stage to perform I felt the anointing of God and heard distant angels singing I'd be lying. I performed a 2 minute piece in about 45 seconds then made a bee-line to the ladies room to loose my lunch. It was the most terrifying experience of my life.

The next day I snuck into class and was hiding behind my desk with my nose buried in a book. Mr. Hall walked by, leaned over and whispered "I can see you're a real leader. And you have great talent. By the end of this year you'll be a pro."

What? Had he witnessed the same tragedy I had? Because there were many things that I knew I was. A "talented" "leader" I was most defiantly not!

Fast forward 4 years.... My senior year of high school was bitter sweet. Lots of goodbyes, lots to look forward to. The shy, awkward freshman was gone. And a somewhat competant, confident young lady stood in her place. I was an award winning debate champion. Director of many student plays. And one of the most respected leaders on our drama team. Mr. Hall saw something burried deep within me, and because he whispered those words to me that day, I spent the next four years determined to become who he said I could be.

There's someone else who has whispered words of encouragement to me. Someone who sees something burried deep within me. Someone who believes with all His heart that I have been created for greatness. He has called me to join His team. And although I feel like I have nothing to offer, He still picked me.

He has called me to follow Him. I am determined to be worthy of that call.

No comments:

Post a Comment