Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Lifetime...

  • An 18 year old girl sends a text message while driving and instead of attending her graduation is life-flighted to the hospital where she spent 7 days in intensive care before losing her life.
  • A wife, mom, and grandmother succumbs to her long term fight with a terminal illness.
  • A father and husband driving home on his motorcycle after a long day is struck by a truck and will never see his wife and kids again.
  • A former classmate from high school goes to bed one night completely fine, and never wakes up.
  • A plane takes off on a routine flight from Rio to France, and disappears somewhere over the ocean. 228 families will never see their loved ones again.

With the exception of the victims of the plane crash I was acquainted with each of the above people who recently lost their lives. All of these stories happened within the last week.

Strange isn’t it? We live our lives every day never thinking about death. Yet in the last 5 days of my life I’ve been confronted with the reality of death over and over again.

“Lord remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.” Psalm 39:4&5

Life is so short. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. I find myself questioning my motives; how am I spending my time, what am I investing in, am I using this life God gave me to fulfill His purposes or my own?

I don’t think that when I stand before Him He will be impressed by the fact that I never missed an episode of Lost or Extreme Makeover Home Edition. I don’t think He will ask me how much time I spent on Facebook, or how many You Tube videos I watched. I do think He will be interested in the people I loved, the times I gave sacrificially, the hope that I shared.

Today I am reminded of my mortality. But, it’s a reminder that is filled with hope. What a great honor that the King of Kings has entrusted me to carry His message of Good News, for however brief my time on this earth is. And then… to be with Him for all of eternity! Now that is reason to celebrate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment