Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

It’s the last day of 2009. I’ve spent the last few minutes re-reading some of my blog posts for the last few months. Ugh. Pretty ugly. But needed. Healing can’t come until it’s first brought to light.


I’ve been reading Spurgeon’s Morning by Morning. Yesterday’s devotion was incredible, and timely.


“That rough looking diamond is put upon the cutting wheel. He cuts it on all sides. It loses much—much that seemed costly to itself. The king is crowned, the diadem is put upon His head with trumpet’s joyful sound. A glittering ray flashes from that crown, and it beams from the very diamond that was so sorely troubled by the cutting wheel. Let faith and perseverance have their perfect work, for in that day when the crown is set upon the King’s head, one ray of glory will stream from you.”


The last few months I have felt like that diamond. Like pieces of me are being cut away. Pieces that seem precious and costly to me. But there is a purpose to the purging. There is a revealing that is taking place. A beauty that is being created. And who am I to question the artist?


The thing about diamonds… sometimes to the naked eye they seem perfect. But through the jewelers loupe subtle imperfections become visible. If there’s something in me that is keeping me from shining for Christ, then I want it gone. Cut it out, sand it down, polish it away. Even if it hurts.


This is the process I am currently in.


More from Spurgeon:


“See that creeping worm, how contemptible it’s appearance. It’s the beginning of a thing. Mark that insect with gorgeous wings, playing in the sunbeams, sipping at the flower bells, full of happiness and life. It’s the end of the thing. That caterpillar is you, until you’re wrapped up in the chrysalis of death. But when Christ appears you’ll be like Him, for you’ll see Him as He is.”


Today I am so thankful that “the end of a matter is better than its beginning” (ecc. 7:8)


No comments:

Post a Comment