Thursday, July 2, 2009

Crazy Love

We are reading the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan as a staff. One of the concepts that he raised in the book is that we should approach God as our Father. I’ve heard that many times before. But, for the last week or so I can’t get the thought out of my head about God as my Father. And I’ve wondered…. what does that really mean?

I started thinking about my kids. Especially when they were little. How they acted around me. I loved it when they would run up to me and grab my legs, just because they wanted to be near me. I loved how they wanted to tell me about everything, because there wasn’t any part of their life that they wanted to be separate from mine. I loved how they would call my name whenever they saw a spider, or the lights went out, or it thundered, because they knew that I would protect them and keep them safe.

I loved that they loved me. I loved that they needed me. I loved that they wanted me. I loved that they trusted me.

And I wonder, can God say those things about me.

Time changes everything and it definitely changed the way my kids act towards me. Teenagers now they are developing their own personalities, discovering their own opinions. Gone are the carefree days of loving and laughing. Now there are moments of eye rolling, whining, complaining, pulling away, keeping secrets, talking back, arguing, and doubting that my way is the best way.

Do they still love me? Sure.

Do they still need me? Yes. But don’t tell them that.

Do they still want me? Sometimes. Sometimes not so much.

Do they still trust me? Maybe, depending on the situation.

It’s made me question my actions towards my Father. In my relationship with Him do I act like a little child, or a teenager?

Am I willingly obedient, or willfully defiant?

Do I need His presence in my life? Or can I take care of myself?

Do I want Him always? Or just when I’m in over my head?

Do I trust Him when it requires me to step out in faith? Or just when His plans is easy and comfortable for me?

The truth is: God is my Father. Nothing can change that. The variable is: am I acting like His child?

Mark 10:14&15 Permit the children to come to Me; do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment