Monday, October 12, 2009

I need an attitude adjustment...

Saturday I read a list of Chuck Swindoll’s Top 10 Leadership Lessons. It was a good list. Things that I’ve heard at countless conferences and leadership seminars. I quickly skimmed it then went about my day.

But I was distracted. There was a gentle voice in my head. “Did you read the list? Did you see #7?”

It was a typical Saturday, filled with many things to do, and the voice in my head was causing me to be distracted. I tried to ignore the voice and continue on throughout my day.

But the voice was persistent. Always soft, always gentle. But persistent. “Did you read this list? Did you see #7?”

“Yes Father, I read the list. No, I don’t remember #7.”

“Read it again”, the voice whispered.

#7. My attitude is more important than my actions

Oh.

Well, yeah sure. Attitude is important Lord. Now if you’ll excuse me I have a million things to do.

I walked away from the list, and on to my “to do” list. But then I started noticing something. Another voice was interrupting my day. This voice wasn’t soft and gentle. This voice was harsh.

“Why can’t you pick up after yourself?”

“I’m so sick of having to cook dinner. No one appreciates it anyway.”

“I don’t have time for this.”

“I’m exhausted.”

“Can’t we have any peace and quiet around here?”

No, this voice wasn’t gentle. But it was persistent. And it made me sick. I didn’t want to hear what that voice had to say anymore. I wanted the other voice. I wanted my voice to sound like His.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my attitude since Saturday. What it is. What it should be. I know I need an attitude adjustment.

So this morning I decided to do what I always do when I’m stumped by a problem. I’d go to the Word of God and see what it has to say.

I was surprised to see there were only a very small handful of verses that popped up when I typed “attitude” into my favorite on-line Bible site. Surprised, but relieved. At least there wasn’t a lot to study. I’d read the verses, apply some truth and get back to my day.

I started reading and found that all the verses were in reference to some King’s attitude against the Israelites. Good, I’m off the hook, only 1 more verse then I can move on.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus. Phil. 2:5

Yikes!

What am I supposed to do with that?

I haven’t figured it out yet. But I have a feeling when I do; my voice will sound a bit more like His.

OK, Lord. Bring on the attitude adjustment. I'm ready. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment